Sunday, May 09, 2010

Alone

I love to go hiking in the mountains. Nothing pleases me as much as walking down into a valley, or searching for a waterfall, or climbing up to a summit. There's something about the mountains that grabbed me long ago and just never released its hold on me.

Sometimes I go to hike with friends, and that's always fun. But I find no greater pleasure than going to a secluded place in the high country, far from Mankind and the constant press of his society and his poisons, and just sitting quietly, enjoying the view of Nature.

All of these photos were taken by me on solo hiking and backpacking trips over the past few years.



Trail, DuPont State Forest.

Triple Falls, DuPont State Forest.

Rocky summit, DuPont State Forest.

Strange boulders, Flat Top Mountain, Virginia.

Flat Top Mountain, Virginia.

On the trail to Sharp Top Mountain, Virginia.

Black Mountain Crest Trail, North Carolina.

Black Mountains in Deep Gap, North Carolina.

Red spruce forest, my personal kryptonite.

The Black Mountains, NC.

Near Albright Grove, Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee side.

Blurry photo. Sorry, I was nervous. That's a bear. Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee side.

Appalachian Trail near Mount Kephart, Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Stream in Panthertown Valley, North Carolina.

Summit ridge on Crowder's Mountain, North Carolina.

Potato Knob, West Virginia.

Crowder's Mountain, North Carolina.

More solo hiking photos another days...

No comments: