Thursday, June 03, 2010

Wildflowers Along the Appalachian Trail

I don't know much about wildflowers. I have friends and some hiking pals who are very good at identifying most of the wildflowers that we see on our hikes. Spring is just about the best time to see wildflowers in the Southern Appalachians. Summer is good, too, and even Fall has its share of wild blossoms here and there along the trails and valleys and summits. But Spring is fittingly the best time to find the colorful blossoms that grace our mountains and gorges.

These were just some of the flowers that I encountered during four days of hiking and backpacking along the Appalachian Trail between Pearisburg and Mountain Lake. If you can ID any of these, feel free to post here, or to correct the few that I took a stab at and which I may have gotten wrong.

Newly blossomed Mountain laurel. Just about everyone's favorite!


Flame azalea. One of the heath plants and one of my favorites.









Indian paintbrush. Another of my favorites.


Spiderwort.


No comments: