Friday, December 11, 2009

Climbing

Almost every time I go to Stone Mountain State Park I get to see technical rock climbers making their ways up the face of the cliffs. I really like watching them working the routes to the top. They're all very careful and take their time on the walls. As I understand it, Stone Mountain is a relatively easy technical climb and many instructors use it as a classroom because of the relative safety of its routes.

Generally, I shy away from such steep areas. As I've said before, those kinds of risk just aren't for me. However, as I was scrambling up to the edges of the technical routes, I looked up to watch the real climbers high above me. And I really wanted to join in.

Maybe one of these days before I get too old, I'll give it a shot.

Information kiosk at the base of the climbing routes.

Self-service permit box so that the rangers will know who you are if you fall and go "squish".

Instructor and student above a point where I felt safe enough to climb.

Telephoto shot of the very patient instructor and student.

This guy was part of another climbing team to the right of the highest point I scrambled.

Another place where I climbed as high as I safely could.

This flake of rock kept telling me to keep climbing. "C'mon," it said. "It's safe! Keep goin'!"

Two climbers about halfway up the face of the mountain.

No comments: