Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Mighty Wakulla Springs

Wakulla Springs was everything I'd expected it to be. Like most first magnitude springs that have not been developed to Hell, it was packed to the limit with wildlife. We saw everything from minnows to ten-foot gators. Once again, I am in awe of the bird life that claims Florida as their home. If you like bird watching, I can think of no better location than Florida.

We went swimming, of course. I was a little anxious about the water temperature. It was not a hot day--about 80 degrees, so jumping into water that stays year-round 68 degrees could have been a shock to my system. I decided to do it right, all at once, and I accomplished this by climbing to the top of the 15-foot diving tower on the edge of the spring. The water at the bottom of the tower is anywhere from 15 to 30 feet deep, depending on how far out you jump. Jump far enough, I suppose, and you'd be leaping into a spring more than 300 feet deep!

The water was nowhere near as shockingly cold as I had expected, and I made the leap from the tower about....oh, thirty times or so. I planned long ago on never growing up. After 52 years, so far, so good.

(Carole was in one of her I-don't-want-to-take-your-picture moods, so I shot all of the following with the tripod and the self-timer.)

Wait for it...

Man overboard!

Don't fergit to hold yer nose!

Ker-SPLASH!!!!

No comments: