Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Overwhelming.

Well, that didn't take long.

The modern fantasy novel has overpowered the Iron Age fantasy.

One of my long-simmering projects has been a novel I call THE REZ. The concept is solid and the professionals I've asked to take a look have all had positive things to say about it. But I never could find the right way to tell the story. Initially the chapters I'd written seemed kind of dull, in a way. There was nothing bright about the prose at all and I couldn't figure out what was missing. But I knew that something was indeed lacking in the text.

And then, it hit me. It hit me like a beam of white light. I had to drop what I was doing at the time and run to the word processor and get it down. A couple of hours later I had it! Some of the best writing I have ever done, and certainly the finest hook I've ever put into a novel. Even better than the hook I planted in the reader with THE FLOCK.

I showed it to my agent (Bob Fleck) and he was impressed. THE REZ has now glommed all of the energy that I had apportioned to ONE CURSE, ONE BLESSING.

One thing I'd like to do is show the first chapter to everyone who reads this blog. But I'm going to hold off for a bit. It really is the finest fiction I've ever written. I want to make sure the train keeps rolling and I don't want to do anything to derail this beauty.


No comments: