Sunday, July 31, 2011

Upper and Lower Rock Creek Falls

I'm in a bit of a hurry today. I have to run off to pick up some old comics I bought from a friend.

In the meantime, here are some photos of my double-hike to see the waterfalls on Rock Creek in the Unaka Mountain Wilderness. The first time I hiked in I got caught by a heavy downpour. I got soaked and was afraid that I'd get my camera wet so I was really careful. I got to the falls after a very long two+ mile hike (the guidebooks said 1.5 miles, but that was SO wrong!). I took photos and video and headed back to camp, not realizing until the next day that I'd only hiked to the Lower Rock Creek Falls and had entirely missed the more impressive Upper Rock Creek Falls. So of course I had to hike the trail again two days later to see the other falls.

At any rate, here are some shots of the falls and the hike in. I'll post details later.

The wilderness boundary sign. I took this on the subsequent hike when it wasn't pouring down rain.

There are literally scores of little cascades like this one along the trail.

The lower falls. I was already so soaked that standing in the creek for photos wasn't a problem. The conditions for waterfall photography were great, though.

My later hike to the Upper Falls. Much more impressive than the lower ones. I'm glad I went back to see them, since I don't know when I'll get back to that area. There are a LOT of waterfalls in the Unaka Mountain region. I didn't have time to see them all.



The Upper Falls


The Lower Rock Creek Falls

No comments: