Sunday, June 14, 2009

Planning a Birthday Trip

Good ol' Wilson Creek.

We were planning on heading to West Virginia for my birthday weekend to go whitewater rafting. But now we're thinking that we'll just stay closer to home. There's a good possibility I'll head back to the Wilson Creek area and camp out at Mortimer again. Lots of great trails for me to hike and Carole and I will probably go tubing down the creek if the hot weather holds up.

Carole and I do a lot of canoeing, but now we're looking into buying a pair of kayaks. We won't be able to do any of the extreme stuff like the guys in this set of photos I took on Wilson Creek, but maybe up to Class II stuff.


I like this photo a lot. I think it's got good composition and color, but I seem to be in the minority when I show it around. Oh, well.

Some people like this one better than the first one! I don't, but I seem to be in the minority. Alas!

There were quite a lot of kayakers on the creek taking advantage of the high water on May 31, 2009. From what I've been told, this is the first time in over two years that kayakers have been able to negotiate the river. The previous three years drought had reduced Curtis Creek to a small stream that was not navigable at all--not even by kayak.
More my speed. Putting on a pair of water shoes and soaking in the creek water.

No comments: