Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Great Day of Writing


Wow. I had a great day writing yesterday (Wednesday). It was, as they say in the USPS, my "non-scheduled" day. That is, it was the day of the six-day work week that I was not scheduled to clock in and carry mail.

So, after sleeping very late I got up, shaved, brushed my teeth, got dressed, and headed out to the barber shop to get a haircut. After that I drove straight on to the Mint Hill branch of the library. I did that to write. Carole was at home sleeping (she works at night and sleeps most days), so I didn't want to hang around the house making noise and disturbing her sleep. Instead, I decided to go to the library with my laptop computer and write.

This is what I did. For several glorious hours I was able to write in relative quiet. I produced about 5,000 words of fiction. I came much closer to finishing THE CLAN and putting that project behind me.

This is the kind of day that lets me know--just a little--of what it might be like to to write full time. It was a very nice feeling. One day it's what I'd like to be able to do.

While my mind percolates and contemplates the filling in of the gaps remaining in the manuscript, here are a few photos from Yellowstone National Park:


On our first full day in the Park, we went to see a spot called Lewis Falls on, appropriately, the Lewis River. At the parking area there was the remains of a huge log jam. This log jam provided a kind of stage where you could stand and look upriver at the falls. To my surprise, Carole chose to walk out on the logjam to get a view of the waterfall. Here was Carole surprising the crap out of me with Andy helping her along.

Andy standing on the log jam while I take his portrait in front of the falls.

No comments: