Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Everyone Has a Talent

I'm sure you've heard that old saying many times. Everyone has a talent. I've met some people who don't seem to have any talents at all, but they're actually few and far between. Because most people actually do seem to be able to do something with some amount of skill. Running, drawing, singing, throwing, dancing, thinking, painting, jumping, sculpting, shooting, arguing...seems everyone you meet knows how to do at least one thing well.

After my 53 years on Earth, I've decided something else about people:

Every goddamned one of them is crazy.

It's true. I can meet the most seemingly well rounded and solid individual and later find out something totally insane about that person. One guy I know is an extremely talented artist who has built a career for himself and provided admirably for his family and bought a nice house and travels extensively and is seemingly in almost every way a very pleasant individual. And yet, he's a religious fanatic madman who believes that the Earth is approximately 6,000 years old and adheres to a racist world view that he will argue is not racist with his dying breath.

I met a woman who put herself through school and is bright, funny, packed with knowledge, and yet she's in love with a convicted pedophile. The details are even worse than I make them out, so don't ask.

These are just two examples. Believe me, I could go on all day, ad nauseam, ad infinitum.

Whenever I meet someone I eventually learn something about that person that stuns me. This thing usually manifests itself as what some might describe as poor judgment or a moral or intellectual blind spot, but which to my way of thinking is just fucking insanity. I've yet to meet that person who is devoid of such a wacky flaw.

My personal physician, whom I like and with whom I've stuck for twenty years, likes Glenn Beck! It's fucking true! Which proves that just because you're smart enough to become a doctor that you're not also a complete dumbass!

If you know of a completely normal person who does not demonstrate some form of personal insanity, I'd like to know about them. Because so far in my experience, such a person does not exist.

No comments: