Monday, August 18, 2008

What's Wrong

This poster by R. Crumb sums up what's wrong with this world better than anything I've ever read. I've felt this way about the USA since I was a young man. Even when I was a kid, I knew about the things that this continent had lost to the hand of humans because I read a lot and my dad would tell me the things that he had seen chewed up and spat out by our consumerist society.

(This illustration is copyright by Robert Crumb. I think you can buy it (and other stuff by Robert Crumb) at this site.)

These things always bothered me: The way our species eats everything. We gobble up anything from which a profit can be turned. The animals, the trees, the grasses, the rivers, the lakes, the ponds, the swamps, the deserts, the mountains, the substrate, the aquifer, the soil, the air...

Since I've been born I've watched vast tracts of my southern homeland vanish b
eneath concrete and asphalt, shopping centers and subdivisions. I've seen the rural buffers between towns and cities vanish to become one enormous megalopolis. I've watched forests whittled down to small patches of so-called "wilderness". I've seen National Parks pushed on all sides until everything that one fears encroaches up to the very borders of these parks, shutting them all in behind a fence of stinking industrialization.

I don't wonder that R. Crumb doesn't live here anymore.

I still labor away at my job, escaping whenever possible to see the vanishing bits of Mother Nature. She's wasting away and, I'm convinced, will soon be damaged beyond all recognition. That's why I go so often into the forests. I want to see them before it's too late. I'd suggest that you do the same.

Sometimes I wonder that I can still smile. Sometimes I wonder how I can.

3 comments:

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Hmnn. You suggest I go see nature before its gone, yet I keep making pilgramages to Bubbly Creek. That's the Chicago me. The Shelbyville me is a different entity.

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Hmnn. You suggest I go see nature before its gone, yet I keep making pilgramages to Bubbly Creek. That's the Chicago me. The Shelbyville me is a different entity.

James Robert Smith said...

You need to find out what kind of environmental studies have been done of Bubbly Creek and see if you can post them at your site.