Monday, June 18, 2012

My Favorite Section of Yellowstone




One of my stitched panoramas of the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone National Park.
My very favorite section of Yellowstone National Park was the Lamar Valley. I wish we'd been able to spend more time there, but because of the schedule we had set, we only spent part of one day at that location. The next time I go to Yellowstone I hope to have my travel trailer and if that's possible we'll stay in the campground in that part of the Park.

For just sheer scenic beauty, it was the most breathtaking part of the area. The mountains are grander and the tree cover is greener. We didn't see quite as much wildlife there, but part of that was just luck (or lack of it). We saw the only pronghorn that we spotted inside the park there, so that was a bonus.

I know we'll return for another visit to Yellowstone, so Lamar Valley is at the top of the list for an extended stay.


The only pronghorn that we spotted inside the Park. We saw plenty more outside of Yellowstone, but only one while we were inside the Park.

The herds of bison in Lamar Valley were lower in number than elsewhere, also.

Extinct geyser in Lamar.

These were the kinds of mountains I was hoping to see. Real mountains!

We ended up spending a lot of time on the banks of this river enjoying the scenery and waiting for wildlife to emerge from those dense forests. We'd heard that the area was good for moose and for wolves. We saw neither.

Andy took this one of me.

Another mountain waiting to be climbed.

Supposedly good griz habitat in that direction. So I'd go the other way.

Looking upriver.

Real high country.

No comments: