Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dreamin' is Free

When I didn't have so many writing projects to take care of, one could find me hiking and backpacking with every second of leisure time that I had. These days, with the writing having become something like a job, I can't go hiking and camping the way I once did. But that should change this year, since we have several trips planned that will take me to places where I can get outdoors for a while.

Next month we're heading to the West Virginia high country. If there's snow (there should be) I'll at least go sledding, and I'm going to make an effort to take a stab at cross-country skiing.

Until then, I can go through some of my old digital photos and dream about the mountains.

Summit of Mount LeConte, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, March 2005.

Giant poplar tree, Boogerman Grove, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, 2004.

Pickens Nose, near the NC/GA border, 2004.

John Rock, Pisgah National Forest, 2004. (Looking Glass Rock in the background.)

Alone at a place called Devil's Elbow, Panthertown Valley, September 2004.

Whoops! Didn't get to my spot fast enough for a self-portrait. Wonderful waterfall on the Holly River, in Holly River State Park, West Virginia.

Summit of Flat Top Mountain, at Peaks of Otter, Virginia. 2004.

Me, me, and me. Crowder Mountain State Park, North Carolina, 2004.

On the broad summit ridge of Stone Mountain, Stone Mountain State Park, North Carolina, 2004.

2 comments:

Kent Tankersley said...

Great photos! Makes me homesick for the mountains.

James Robert Smith said...

I've hiked everywhere from Florida to Maine to California to Wyoming, and I have to say that for pure beauty I really have yet to meet the match of the southern Appalachians. Grander scenery? Sure. I don't think I've seen anything more stunning than the view from one of the big peaks in northern Yellowstone National Park...but the southern Appalachians have that amazing, unmatched display of temperate flora. There's nothing else quite like it.