Sunday, March 16, 2008

With the Dog

A few weeks ago I went hiking with a dog. Her name is Saucony. Twelve years old and diagnosed with cancer, she kept up with us all along the hike and kept me amused. I hadn't been hiking with a dog since I was a kid. I didn't realize how much fun it is to have a dog along on a hike. Sure, they scare away the wildlife, but I don't like surprising wild critters anyway.

Tomorrow I'm going hiking with Saucony again. And the guy she lives with, Andy Kunkle. I'll report how it all goes.


Saucony, on the top of Scaly Mountain, NC. The old girl was tuckered out.

4 comments:

Annie Wicking said...

Hi fellow writer,
I've enjoyed reading your blog and watching the wonderful waterfalls in your part of the world.

I wish I had more of them where I live. At the moment the only waterfall we are having is the rain and there's lots of that.

Best wishes

Annie

James Robert Smith said...

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog.

We've gotten a lot of (needed)rain here the past few weeks. The waterfalls needed to be recharged.

dogboy443 said...

Nothing like taking your favorite four-legged buddy for a nice casual walk or hike. Just make sure you bring along a pocket full of plastic dispose bags.

James Robert Smith said...

If we move into a larger house, we may buy a dog. If so, I want one that will be a good hiking companion. I'd never have thought it, but Saucony is such a pleasure to hike with.