Friday, January 01, 2010

The Bad Guys of My Youth

Conservatives I could respect:

Back in the day, there was a brief period during which the political right in the USA could have said with truth that it had a few decent folk among its numbers. Yes, there were always racist, greedy yahoos in there, but there were also some decent thinkers and writers.

When I was a kid I used to enjoy reading the stuff these guys produced. I never agreed with it, but I enjoyed reading it. These few fellows apparently had good reasons for the stands that they took. What I mean to say is that they weren't arguing their positions out of venality, but out of solid logical thinking. They believed it and were willing to be relatively civil about defending those positions.

Most of these people either quietly retired from the public scene, died, or were unfortunately shoved out of the way for the likes of what we have now among the American right wing of so-called thinkers. Today, we don't have cats like James J. Kilpatrick and William F. Buckley, Jr. Instead, we have a group of hate-mongering creeps who are nothing but neo-fascists and modern day Nazis who have all of the fine tuning of a bloody hatchet.

Well, I reckon that's okay, in its way. In my youth those gentlemen of the right never convinced me of their positions, but at least I had respect for them. And at least I had the impression that they had some measure of respect for their leftist analogs. Their replacements are nothing but monstrous creeps deserving of my contempt and needful of physical destruction.

Wonderful portrait of William F. Buckley by the amazing Drew Friedman.

No comments: