Friday, December 28, 2007

A Good Omen

We were headed up to Grayson Highlands to climb Wilburn Ridge. The last time we’d been up there, the weather didn’t cooperate. When we left, it was clear and the sun was just coming up. Quickly, we were on the interstate and speeding up toward the NC/VA border.

As we passed Statesville, the car in front of us swerved to the left. I had this new truck and was particularly alert. There was a large dog, German shepherd mix it seemed, in the highway. I was able to miss it (didn’t want to damage the new truck). But I looked in the rear view mirror to see the cube van behind me (not as nimble, don’t you know) catch the dog on its right bumper. It was like seeing a huge balloon full of red paint bursting. It quite literally tore the dog in half.

“A good omen,” I said. “This is going to be a grand trip.”

Indeed, as we arrived at Grayson Highlands, the sun was full in the sky, no rain clouds in sight, and we had a great day of tromping across the roof of Virginia. What a day!



2 comments:

dogboy443 said...

OW, the poor dog. Nice description tho'. I've seen similar carnage along the Mass T-Pike. Large scenes of carnage with a distinct fur color that can only be canine.

James Robert Smith said...

I wrote that after a bad experience with a dog. As a thrice-bitten letter carrier, my patience with large, pack-oriented, territorial and aggressive canines was run dry that day.

What is surprising, despite my dozens upon dozens of nasty confrontations with vicious dogs, is that I still like the critters. I don't have one living with me, but I often enjoy the company of friendly dogs whom I meet. There's not many things nicer than stopping to visit with a happy dog who obviously enjoys your company.