Friday, June 29, 2007

The Legendary Big Five-Oh.

Well, I turned 50-years-old yesterday (June 28). Had my complete physical today and got a clean bill of health, (pending results of blood work). And I feel good. I’ve only gained back ten of the forty or so pounds I lost last year, so it’ll be easy to lose those. Last week, I hiked one of the toughest trails in the eastern USA, and did it without any trouble, so that’s a good sign for an old codger.

Strangely, I’m more physically active now than I have been since my high school days. I assume it’s partly due to the fact that I make more money and I have more vacation time than at any point in my life since those days of my youth. Every month finds me camping and hiking and traveling all over Appalachia where I bushwhack to waterfalls and bag various peaks that intrigue me.

My writing career is going pretty good. I’ve got a very cool deal in the works and I’m hard at work on my latest novel which has suddenly turned the corner so that I was able to work out a nagging problem with the plot. All in all, I have to say that the World is treating me pretty good right now. Yes, there are the obvious political and ecological nightmares that I have to acknowledge each day. But, for now, I find contentment in searching out the world of Nature that yet exists and celebrating that world by immersing myself in it.

So far, Fifty feel pretty darned good.


2 comments:

Tom said...

Welcome to the 50s, I crossed over in '06. I'll be honest and admit it took me a little while to get used to the idea. but they are only numbers after all!

James Robert Smith said...

Yep. As I said, I'm more physically active now than I have been in many, many years.