Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Small Preparations

Vacation time is drawing near, so I took Carole's kayak out of the barn where we hang it when it's not in use. It was dirty so I hosed it down and scrubbed the hull. Also I checked the spot where I sealed a small leak and it's in good shape. The resin did its job.

Tomorrow I'll take mine down and make sure it's clean and ready to go. Not much longer till we head out for our first trip of the Spring/Summer season.

We're probably going to sell my kayak this summer and buy a tandem model. We'll keep Carole's excellent Wilderness Pungo for when our son wants to go kayaking with us. We decided a couple of years ago that we wanted to switch to a tandem kayak, but we've either just been too busy working to shop for one, or it wasn't in the budget. Recently, though, we have been able to look around and eyed a number of them. For a while we were going to get a sit-on-top model, but we have opted to get a conventional type. And, again, we'll go for the Wilderness kayak--we have really been impressed with Carole's (it tracks exceptionally well) so the company sold us on design and general quality.

Carole ahead of me when we paddled Holmes Creek in Florida in 2017.

Carole out in the bay at Gulf Shores National Seashore (also in 2017). That's her kayak in the foreground and my Perception model on the left.


No comments: