Saturday, January 06, 2018

Robbed of Our Dreams.

When I was a kid I was fascinated by our space missions. I have to admit up front that I didn't start following our various space missions earnestly until the Gemini program. I was just a tad too young when the Mercury Project was going on. Or perhaps I was more interested in dinosaurs than in rockets. But when I was eight years old everything changed. The Gemini Project fascinated me and of course I had to get up to speed on the Mercury Program. My closest friends and I all knew the "Original Seven" astronauts. They--and the astronauts who followed them--were heroes to us.

Today I was sad to learn of the death of one of those astronauts who followed the original seven. John Young left us at the age of 87. He was obviously one hell of a good pilot because he was the only astronaut to command Gemini, an Apollo Command Module, a Lunar Excursion Module, and (our awful and excessively flawed and dangerous) Space Shuttle. That alone is an almost unbelievable achievement.

From my days in the third grade all the way through the various Moon missions and the followup Skylab missions I had no doubt at all that someday soon my country would have outposts on the Moon, vast wagon-wheel space stations in orbit around Earth and the Moon, and manned missions to Mars. The dresser in my room was awash in models of all kinds of rockets. My walls had posters of the lunar surface and of our spacecraft, and my bookshelves were full of biographies of our astronauts, simply physics books on rocketry, and pamphlets of various NASA missions.

I had no doubt whatsoever that someday I'd be able to take a vacation into space. Maybe not to the Moon, but at least to a space station in orbit. And if you'd asked me in those days, I'd have repeated the NASA propaganda that we would surely be sending a manned mission to land on Mars some time in the 1970s. Wernher von Braun had said so (even if he was a reformed Nazi, he was the leader of the US space program).

By the time the Skylab mission was winding down around 1974 I was in my teens and I realized that space was not for us. I knew that something had happened at the all of the stories of what we were going to accomplish in space was--if not hot air--then at least the destruction of our possible future as a space-faring nation. After that, if someone mentioned space exploration I would ignore them.

I've heard all of the many reasons why the USA largely abandoned the exploration of space and the colonization of gravitational Lagrangian points or the manned villages on the lunar surface. And, of course, we were not going to Mars. Not then. Not now. Not ever. When this nation gave up those dreams it gave up the ghost, I like to think. The bottom line is that you can't have corporations and the ultra-rich not paying taxes and things like manned space exploration, too. You can have one, or the other. And the US chose to eliminate taxes for those most able to pay them and to abandon our vigorous manned exploration of space and the planets.

But none of that detracts from the amazing accomplishments of John Young, perhaps the finest astronaut the space program of the USA ever had, or ever saw. So, here's to Capt. John Watts Young, USN. He was among the best the nation had.

John Watts Young. The only man to command a Gemini capsule, an Apollo Command capsule, a Lunar Excursion Module, and a Space Shuttle. I mean...damn.

2 comments:

John Ohannesian said...

I was born in 1954, so I became aware of the space program in 1962 with John Glenn. I followed the Apollo shots very closely. I read Clarke, Asimov and Heinlein. A moon colony? Of course! Mars? Harder, true, but surely possible...

Perhaps the commercial space companies will do it, they have as much money as NASA ever did, it seems.

James Robert Smith said...

I used to have NASA pamphlets detailing that we would likely have a manned mission to Mars by 1974 or 1975. That was the plan. It was part of what was promised to Von Braun to convince him to work so hard to get us to the Moon.

The commercial companies will only do what turns a profit. Everyone thinks they are doing the things they do on their own, out of some sense of adventure. But they are being paid by the US government for their efforts--we are then paying them for doing the things we once did without them. In effect we are handing them the fruits of publicly-funded research so that they can make a profit. There is no altruism among capitalists. And the US government has been hollowed out so that it can no longer do anything of importance.

If a private company can convince themselves that they can make billions from establishing human colonists in orbit or on the surface of the Moon or Mars, then maybe it will happen. Frankly, I doubt it. Either a nation-state does these things, or they end up as bitter dreams.

Perhaps the Chinese will someday send humans to explore space. But not the US or EU.