Monday, April 04, 2011

Spring Wash!

It's Spring!

Time to get the Casita ready for the first big vacation of the year! 2010 was not a great year for our Casita travel trailer. Because we spent so much time and effort (and money!) traveling to see Yellowstone National Park and Grand Tetons National Park, we couldn't go anywhere in our normally good old trailer. But this year will be much different.

The first thing that I had to do was give the trailer a good wash. I wish I'd taken a "before" photo, but I was too focused on getting the job done. I got out the washing materials, the wax, the ladder, the hose, etc., and got right down to work. It's amazing how dirty she'd gotten over the winter months. The grime just poured off of the fiberglass shell. But in a couple of hours I had the trailer all but shining.

Then Carole went in and started stocking the cupboard with non-perishable items, canned goods, new dishes and such. In just a few short weeks we'll be heading out for our first big trip of the year, so we always get started early with the small stuff. On the list now are two new tires, a new onboard battery, and refueling the gas tanks. After that, the trailer will be pretty much roadworthy. I do want to take it to a nearby service center and have the awning removed and repaired. It popped a couple of rivets and I want to get that fixed before we head out. This first trip is to Florida, and the awning is much needed when we're down there in the Sunshine State.


I took this one just after I'd finished washing and waxing our great Casita travel trailer. I can't say enough good things about these units. If you like having the luxury of a hard-sided trailer, but want one that's very light, can go into the smaller National Forest campgrounds, and is completely reliable, then I highly recommend this make.

The dogwoods and azalea beds in the yard and creeping toward full bloom. Just a few more days, I think.

The two hemlock trees in the back are beginning to form nascent cones.

Every year the hemlocks get a bit taller. This one is beginning to rival the pine that's growing beside it.

We arrived to discover that the tree man had talked Faye into felling one of the old oaks in the yard. He'd told her that it was rotten and ready to fall in the first big windstorm.

At first I thought that he'd been feeding her a line just to get the work. But he was on the level. The tree was eaten up with rot all the way down to the base.

We wanted some of the wood, but Faye had already promised it to a neighbor. Alas.

One last shot of the trailer, and then...

Time for a long nap in my tiny Casita trailer. I slept for a good two hours before Carole came out and woke me up.

No comments: